Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easter Sunday in Shanghai!!!


Yesterday, my sister-in-law Deb took me to Pearl City, which is a mall on the west side of the river, in the Changning district of Shanghai. There you will find all of these pearl stores. These stores will custom make pearl necklaces,bracelets and ear rings for you. There were some exquisite items, to say the least. My wife Pam has now given me her order for what she wants!!!!. We also had burgers at the "Moon River Cafe" and this, I think is about as close to a 1950's type burger place that you will find in Shanghai. It was delicious.

Today, I went to Easter Sunday Brunch at "M on the Bund" a famous restaurant just on the west side of the Huangpu river. I took some pictures on the rooftop after brunch. I wish that I could upload them but will have to work to resolve the IE issues. If you would like to see some of these pictures, you can always email me, most of you know the address and I could email them to your home email addresses. Just let me know. I have taken many pictures and will be unable to put them all up on the website because of blog limitations.

Friday, my sister-in-law Deb took me shopping at Carrefour-it's kind of like a Meijer Thrifty Acres and is about a half mile or so from my apartment. It is well within walking distance and provides me with some good exercise. I went there today after brunch and, Deb told me that people in Shanghai do their shopping on Sundays....and I can say that it is, indeed, true. It was wall to wall people. It was exciting trying to find the things that I wanted. Just to let you know some of the costs here, I purchased 3, I think about 12 oz.(I have not mastered traditional Chinese writing) cans of Diet Pepsi. I can guess it's about 355ml which I believe is 12 oz. I also purchased some liquid dish detergent and a quart of soy milk for my cereal and it was 16.80 RMB or just a little over $2.50 US.

I understand it is very cold back in Michigan. It was about 65 here today with a pretty stiff breeze. Well, All for now. My regards and best to All!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want pictures!

BDUB said...

I want pictures!

golffanman@ameritech.net

Anonymous said...

Pictures would be nice, in case no one has mentioned it. ;) You're right about the Diet Coke. Rebecca checked the can. Glad you are embracing the Chinese culture. Shop, Shop, Shop.

Your sister

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter! From all of us including Mom.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hey dad! Looks like I'll have to be your webmaster, since you can't upload pictures! So, until I figure the kinks out, just email your picture of the day to me, and I'll hopefully have it up by your lunchtime. I hope you like the new picture on the left now. We miss you, and love you.

Love, AJ

PamelaJean said...

And it looks very nice Andrea! Love the pizza with peas and pinenuts, but the guy in the upper left hand corner looks very handsome to these old eyes!

therealcarguy said...

John ... the real joy of living overseas is finding those cute and "strange" (to us) customs.