Thursday, May 10, 2007

Now this has to be a very big irony......



First of all, I don't want everyone to get excited about the picture that will be part of this blog entry. I purchased this item for only one reason. That is to show that capitalism is indeed alive in China. I bought this book from a small shop and was deeply involved in negotiating the final price. The vendor started out at 150 RMB which is just less than 20 dollars US. I offered 20RMB which is about $2.50 US. And the fun began.
She held strong at 150, I held strong at 20.
She told me that this was a "historical book" I said 20.
She said that this book was a big big part of China's history and wanted 150. I held fast at 20.
She said that I was being unreasonable....I said 20.
She than said 135 and I maintained my level at 20. She hemmed and hawed and said 125.
I told her...." I don't need this book, I am going to walk away." Then I said "20".
She looked off in the distance and said something in Chinese.....and than said 100.
I said "20"
She looked at me again and maybe said something like,,"I can't make money like this..."or maybe what she said was worse....it was hard to tell.
She came back with 65. I said "20"
She said "You Megwaren(American) are tough negotiator" She said "40" I said "30"
She looked at me...and we had a deal.

If that is not capitalism, than I don't know what is.....and take a look at the little book that I bought.....Now is this not ironic????

Take care all......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my guy! Great story John!

Anonymous said...

You sly capitalist.