Tuesday, June 5, 2007

One of the world's great literary works - compliments of China


While in Guangzhou on a trip to visit a potential supplier, I stayed at the Garden Hotel in Guangzhou. This is about 800 miles south of Shanghai. If I were to describe the weather there, it would be about like Miami. Upon arrival, I was struck by the gold cladded mural behind the reception desk both in size and in the intricate detail of the work. I was also very curious on what it meant. So I asked the receptionist at the hotel. She did not speak much English so I pointed to the huge mural and gestered for her to write what it was about. This is what she wrote on a piece of paper:

红楼梦


With the help of my friends here in China, I have learned that this is a very famous story in China. It is the story of hóng lóu mèng or "A Dream of Red Mansions" This story, is said to be one of the great literary works of the world and was written over 250 years ago and employs very detailed calligraphy as well as plot and story. The literary work is over 1900 pages long and portrays in great detail the life and history of Pao-Yu a young aristocrat, his relatives and maids and their lives on the estate during those times. There is much poetry in this book, as the charecters spend much time in the garden of the estate compsoing poetry. These young people actually form a poetry club. This book, according to the literary critics is rich in the history and Chinese culture. Every Chinese person that I have talked to about this has consistently said that: "This is a very famous Chinese story".

There are people searching to see if they can find an English version of this book. If one is found, I will let you all know. The read could be very interesting and very enlightening.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say that I would love, love, love to read this!

AKA said...

WOW ! ! ! ! You got all that out of those characters? On second thought, maybe not......... Again, great journalism........

Still gloomy and overcast here.

srah said...

Here's a summary as well as links to some complete translations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_of_the_Red_Chamber

John said...

Actuall, I got this all out of discussion with my friends here in China. There is a great willingness to share the history and customs of China if, you are interested in learning. This is a great experience and one that I will never forget. Currently, I am in Beijing waiting to board an airplane to Wenzhou to visit some additional suppliers. Srah...thanks for the link. I will take a look. AKA--thanks for the comment on the "great joournalism....I do like to write....all for now, take care....24 more days and I will be home!!!!

LoriK said...

How did you type those characters? Do you have a special Chinese keyboard?

Hard to believe you only have 24 days left. Seems like time has just flown (although I'm sure your family doesn't this so).

Looking forward to more insights and stories in these next 24 days -- keep up the posts!

Anonymous said...

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Red-Mansions-Set-BOX/dp/7119006436

I found a box set dad!

Sounds like an awesome story. I miss you!

Anonymous said...

This is the link to the Box set.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.